Daniel P. O’Meara serves as the responsible partner for the firm’s Berwyn office. Dan has been a practicing attorney for nearly 30 years, with extensive experience in employment litigation, labor relations and preventive human resource practices. Dan has substantial experience in matters involving trade secrets, noncompete agreements, and the employee duty of loyalty. He has written and spoken extensively on these subjects, and in a two-year period, obtained more than 60 injunctions for employers in courts around the country. Dan has successfully tried cases to a conclusion in state and federal courts, and in arbitration. He served for a time as the sole in-house employment counsel at a Fortune 200 company.
Dan’s book, Protecting the Growing Number of Older Workers: the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (University of Pennsylvania) was reviewed in one national magazine as “a masterful work” and “both readable and informative,” and has been cited in publications such as the Harvard Law Review. Dan is also the author of a 1000+ page book, O’Meara, Employment Arbitration (LexisNexis) which has been described in national magazines as “timely,” “balanced,” and “a comprehensive review and discussion of the totality of employment arbitration law” and cited in a landmark judicial opinion.
Dan has been consulted by and featured regarding employment law on programs such as NBC News Dateline, MSNBC, the Oprah Winfrey Show and National Public Radio Marketplace. He has been quoted on employment law topics in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and Time and has written articles for a variety of publications, including HR Magazine and HR Professional. Additionally, Dan is co-host of “In the Workplace” on SiriusXM Radio’s Business Radio Powered by Wharton.
- Quoted in “Verizon may be in no rush to settle with union as workers strike,” Philadelphia Business Journal, April 13, 2016
- Quoted in “The Colorado Pot Firing Decision Underlines Employers’ Right To Hire And Fire At Will,” Forbes, June 17, 2015
- Quoted in “Telecommuting: Benefit or Accommodation?,” Human Resource Executive Online, June 11, 2014
- Quoted in “Employers Should Pay Their Interns. Here’s Why,” Forbes, June 9, 2014
- Quoted in “This Man’s Business Is Providing Fake Job Histories and References,” Forbes, December 20, 2013
- Quoted in “Why Condé Nast Felt It Had to Stop Using Interns,” Forbes, October 24, 2013
- Quoted in “When the Boss Hits on You,” Forbes, June 29, 2011
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, “Age Discrimination Litigation and Compliance: What’s Hot?” Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s 21st Annual Employment Law Institute, April 2015
- Presenter, “Employment Law: Essentials and Best Practices,” ALI-CLE, December 2014
- Presenter, “Drafting Social Media Policies,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s 20th Annual Employment Law Institute, April 2014
- Presenter, “What Non-Union Employers Need to Know About the NLRA — and It’s a Lot,” Nonprofit Issues webinar, February 2014
- Presenter, “Everything You Were Afraid to Ask About the NLRA, Non-union Employees and Social Media, but Wanted to Know,” Labor and Employment Relations Association, October 2013
- Presenter, “Litigating Independent Contractor Cases,” Pennsylvania Bar Association’s 19th Annual Employment Law Institute, April 2013
Professional Activities & Achievements
- Managing Director of the Wharton School Council on Employee Relations
- Senior Fellow of the Wharton School Center for Human Resources
- Immediate Past President of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Labor and Employment Relations Association
Dan obtained an MBA in Human Resource Management from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, and a J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was a member of the Law Review. He graduated, with honors, from Pennsylvania State University with a Bachelor’s of Arts in Labor Studies.