About the firm
On March 1, 1912, noted Philadelphia lawyers Owen J. Roberts, William W. Montgomery, Jr., and Charles L. McKeehan founded Roberts, Montgomery & McKeehan, the predecessor of Montgomery McCracken Walker & Rhoads LLP.
These three lawyers, led by Roberts, who would ultimately be confirmed as an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, were dedicated to providing excellent legal counseling and service to their clients. The attorneys of Roberts, Montgomery & McKeehan were skillful trial lawyers and seasoned business and finance counselors, representing businesses and individual clients in a variety of complex commercial, estate, and other matters.
In 1923, McKeehan was appointed as a United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. At this time, the firm changed its name to Roberts & Montgomery. In 1930, upon Roberts’ confirmation to the Supreme Court, the firm became Montgomery & McCracken, adding the name of Robert T. McCracken, who had joined the firm as one of the first associates in 1912 and was a leader of the Pennsylvania legal community until his death in 1960.
In the years that followed, the firm added corporate and estates lawyer Robert C. Walker and seasoned litigator C. Brewster Rhoads to its name in recognition of their skill and commitment to the firm and the bar. This led to the name of the firm as it is today, Montgomery McCracken Walker & Rhoads LLP. While the firm’s name has changed since 1912, its dedication to its clients and the community has remained the same.