Montgomery McCracken’s Cannabis Industry Group is dedicated to providing our clients with a comprehensive understanding of the laws and regulations surrounding cannabis.
Our attorneys have experience working with highly regulated businesses to guide them through the continuously developing grid of state and federal regulations. This experience, together with our innovative thinking, will allow our attorneys to provide expert counsel to governing bodies, cannabis entrepreneurs, hemp producers, and any auxiliary businesses on issues involving intellectual property, employment law, land use, zoning, municipal law, healthcare law and licensing.
The cannabis industry is expanding rapidly and does not seem to be slowing down with the increase in state legalization of marijuana. An increasing number of states allow medical and recreational cannabis and this emerging market is expected to grow its revenue from $8.5 billion in 2017 to $23.4 billion in 2022. Nonetheless, the industry is still very complex and the forced meshing of federal and state laws can be conflicting. Our attorneys help navigate the confusion of the cannabis industry to ensure our clients success while also operating ethically and responsibly.
- A global industrial gas company in drafting policies involving sales of gases to cannabis businesses;
- A business entity in the submission of an application to the New Jersey Department of Health, Division of Medicinal Marijuana for dispensary license;
- A hemp company in preparing trademark applications for CBD products;
- A start-up company in the hemp cultivation and extraction business;
- A Colorado cannabis consulting company in licensing application dispute;
- A wellness and nutrition company focused on the development and distribution of CBD infused products;
- Various hedge funds with financing for cultivation and dispensary of cannabis;
- Dispensary and grower/processor permit applicants in administrative proceedings before the Pennsylvania Department of Health and in litigation before the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania during Pennsylvania’s Phase I medical marijuana permitting cycle;
- Various employers regarding employee use of medical marijuana; and
- The Official Committee of Equity Security Holders in the Pyxus International, Inc. bankruptcy in accelerated discovery and two-day trial.
Disclaimer: Using, possessing, distributing and/or selling marijuana is illegal under federal law, regardless of any state law. Businesses and individuals should be aware that compliance with state law does not assure compliance with federal law. Federal laws may be enforced in the future. Legal advice provided by Montgomery McCracken is designed to counsel clients regarding the existing and/or proposed cannabis law. No legal advice we give is intended to provide any guidance or assistance in violating federal law.
New Guidance on Recreational Cannabis Taxation in New Jersey
It is an exciting time to own a cannabis business in New Jersey and, amidst the excitement, it is essential that cannabis business owners stay informed of any developments in […]
Apply Now for a Personal Use Cannabis Business License in New Jersey
The New Jersey Cannabis Regulatory Commission (“CRC”) began accepting applications for personal use cannabis businesses on December 15. At this time, the CRC is reviewing applications for Class 1 Cultivator […]
Georgette Castner Nominated to Serve as a United States District Court Judge in New Jersey
Montgomery McCracken is extremely pleased to announce that Georgette Fries Castner has been nominated by President Joseph R. Biden Jr. to serve as a United States District Court Judge in […]
NJ Recreational Cannabis Law Raises Questions for Employers
On February 22, 2021, Governor Phil Murphy legalized the recreational use of cannabis for persons age 21 and older with the signing of the New Jersey Cannabis Regulatory, Enforcement Assistance, […]