Maritime and Transportation
Montgomery McCracken’s Maritime and Transportation Industry Group attorneys are globally recognized leaders in major casualty litigation, marine pollution, and cargo defense. We represents our clients in a broad range of litigation, arbitration, corporate, and regulatory matters with substantial experience handling agency investigations and proceedings as well as charter party arbitrations. We are available to assist you anytime, day or night.
We are first-and-foremost our clients’ trusted advisors. Whether it is a litigation matter or a business transaction, big or small, we leverage our extensive experience and industry knowledge to get the best results for our clients. As each engagement evolves, we continuously reassess changing circumstances to determine whether new developments require new strategies.
Our attorneys have decades of real-world maritime and transportation industry experience, including a former general counsel from a major ocean container line, a naval architect and marine engineer from a boutique design firm, and an environmental economist from a maritime consulting firm. We have foreign barred and language speaking attorneys. We are accustomed to providing clear, precise, and actionable legal advice to our international clients.
- Casualties – vessel collisions; allisions; groundings; limitation; explosions; fire; heavy weather; salvage; General Average; loss of life and injury; and cargo defense
- Disputes – bankruptcy; Charter Party; Contract of Affreightment; contract of carriage; freight, detention, and demurrage; and off-spec bunkers
- Enforcement – recognition of awards and judgments; Rule B attachment; Rule C arrest; discovery in aid of a foreign proceeding; and security
- Environmental – pollution; natural resource damages; OPA 90; and OSLTF claims
- Investigation – port state and agency inspections; personal injury; vessel damage; and cargo damage or contamination
- Regulatory – corporate governance; agency subpoenas and proceedings; and cabotage
Our clients include:
- International marine insurers
- Shipowners and operators
- Freight forwarders
We are completing all modules of the International Group of Protection and Indemnity Clubs’ P&I Qualification (P&IQ) program, with our practice group co-chair having earned his Advanced Diploma in 2021. We are local correspondents for international marine insurers.
MARITIME AND TRANSPORTATION LAW TRAINEE PROGRAM
Montgomery McCracken continues to sponsor an intern program for foreign lawyers and law graduates. The firm’s maritime and transportation trainee program has afforded more than 110 foreign lawyers (and a few P&I Club claims handlers) an opportunity to observe firsthand the practices of maritime and transportation law in the United States. The program is designed to allow graduate law students or attorneys from outside of the United States to be involved in maritime and transportation cases, including, when possible, the attendance at court hearings, trials, arbitrations, depositions and settlement conferences, while receiving informal instruction on American law and procedure, as well as an opportunity to improve their English language skills.
Interested candidates should send an email with the subject: “[Your Name] – MMWR Trainee Program” to Vincent DeOrchis or Kaspar Kielland. Applicants should include their résumé and indicate the time period in which they are interested in participating in the three-month program.
- Defending cargo claims brought against an international shipping line in connection with a natural disaster
- Obtaining judgment for a tanker owner against a global oil company for damages arising from a significant pollution incident, in a case ultimately decided by the US Supreme Court
- Obtaining limitation of liability for a shipowner and operator in connection with a major fire casualty caused by dangerous goods
- Defending intermodal trucking claims, especially in connection with personal injuries
- Representing the estates and trustees of a major shipping line and a global bunker trader in bankruptcy
- Providing corporate advice in connection with contract negotiations, employment matters, and regulatory compliance
- Arbitrating charter party disputes on behalf of vessel owners and charterers
- Representing a variety of clients in connection with agency investigations and administrative proceedings, including customs violations and the illegal possession of drugs
- Responding to emergencies, and conducting on site and onboard investigations anytime day or night
Maritime and Transportation Leadership
ONE Apus container collapse fuels tangled web of court claims in New York more than two years on
As reported by TradeWinds, the complex legal brawl over the alleged loss and damage to hundreds of containers from the ONE APUS containership continues in US federal court in New […]
Four Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Selected to the 2022 New York Metro Super Lawyers List
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that four of the Firm’s attorneys have been selected to the 2022 New York Metro Super Lawyers list in their respective practice areas. Christopher […]
Rising Star: Montgomery McCracken’s Robert E. O’Connor
Robert O’Connor of Montgomery McCracken Walker & Rhoads LLP has become one of the go-to maritime lawyers in the U.S., recently representing shipping giants Maersk and Ocean Network Express in […]
Montgomery McCracken Ranked In Chambers and Partners USA 2022
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to be recognized by Chambers and Partners USA in its 2022 guide in the area of Transportation: Shipping/Maritime: Litigation (New York). Additionally, the following partners have […]