Leonard A. Busby’s litigation practice emphasizes complex litigation, including injunctions and appeals. Mr. Busby has been lead counsel in many cases successfully tried to verdict in state and federal court; he has argued cases in all Pennsylvania appellate courts including the Pennsylvania Supreme Court; he has argued in the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. In non-litigated matters Mr. Busby has counseled corporations, individuals, and foundations. Mr. Busby has been at the firm since 1978, including 28 years as a partner.
Mr. Busby served for many years as chair of the Firm's Pro Bono Committee and as a member of the Firm's Professional Responsibility Committee.
Mr. Busby earned his law degree from Columbia University in 1978. While in law school he was twice named a Stone Scholar for academic excellence. He received a B.A. degree, with distinction, in Political Science from Stanford University in 1973.
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Co-lead trial counsel for defense group in the first litigated Superfund clean-up site in Pennsylvania
- Trial counsel for charitable beneficiary of $40 million estate administered in York County, Pennsylvania; recovery of more than $10 million for client after years of litigation that started with a proposed payment to the charity of less than $1 million
- Trial counsel for charitable beneficiary of a multi-billion dollar trust under the supervision of the Orphans’ Court Division of the Berks County, Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas.
- Counsel for injured persons in cases with cumulative gross recoveries exceeding $15 million
- Trial counsel for defendants in defamation case; jury verdict for defendants; no appeal
- Trial counsel for community hospital (and sole defendant) sued for death of premature infant after incorrect transfusion; jury verdict for defendant; no appeal
- Co-counsel (with another Montgomery McCracken partner) representing another law firm where that other law firm represented over 4,000 individuals who had filed claims in a complex bankruptcy proceeding; an eventual cumulative gross recovery of over $310 million was obtained for these individuals
- Principal outside counsel for closely held business with, eventually, over $100 million in annual sales; provided advice and guidance on all legal issues for more than 20 years
Mr. Busby has served as an adjunct professor of law for both trial and pre-trial advocacy at the Rutgers Camden Law School. He has served as a trial advocacy instructor for the National Institute for Trial Advocacy and the American Law Institute. His community activities have included service as president of the board of the Philadelphia Bar Association Volunteers for the Indigent Program (VIP), president of the Anglers Club of Philadelphia and president of the Stanford Club of Philadelphia. He currently serves as the chair of the board of governors of the American Swedish Historical Museum.
- Columbia University School of Law
- Stanford University
18 Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that 18 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America© in their respective practice areas. […]
21 Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Selected to the 2018 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers List
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that 21 of the firm’s attorneys have been selected to the 2018 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list in their respective practice areas. Stephen W. Armstrong […]
21 Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Selected to the 2017 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers List
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that 21 of the firm’s attorneys have been selected to the 2017 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list in their respective practice areas. Stephen W. Armstrong […]
Estate of Man Who Fell 10 Stories to His Death Settles
Zarzecki v. Walnut Park Plaza $4.45 Million Settlement Date of Verdict: July 17. Court and Case No.: C.P. Philadelphia No. 110702854. Judge: John Milton Younge Jr. Type of Action: Wrongful […]