Kathleen O'Brien is a partner in Montgomery McCracken’s Business Department. Katie’s practice includes general corporate, finance and banking, mergers and acquisitions, and closely-held businesses. She counsels financial institutions on commercial lending transactions and individuals and business owners on a wide range of corporate matters including entity formation, shareholder and partner issues, governance, and acquisition and divestiture.
In 1976, Katie received her J.D. degree from the University of Pennsylvania Law School. During her law school career, she served as the director of the Government Policy Research Unit, which provided consulting services in law and policy development to nonprofit organizations and government agencies. She also completed an internship at the Center for Law and Social Policy in Washington, D.C.
Katie received her B.S. degree, with honors, in Psychology and Education from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1969, where she was a member of the General Honors Program. She was elected to the Mortar Board Honor Society and recognized as a Benjamin Franklin Scholar. She earned an M.Ed. degree in Counseling and School Psychology from Boston College in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts in 1972.
Corporate and Securities
Business Succession Planning
- Program organizer and speaker, “Selling Your Business – Develop the 5-Year Plan,” First Niagara Bank’s Executive Forum, October 2011
- She has also lectured on counseling small businesses for the Small Business Association Conference on Women Business Owners and the American Law Institute’s televised seminar programs
- Mentioned in, “Women of Distinction Awards Alumni Collections,” The Philadelphia Business Journal, November 2021
- Authored a business law volume for the West Publishing Pennsylvania Practice Series
- As a lecturer for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute on setting up business corporations, Katie has co-authored a book on the subject
- Recipient, Philadelphia Bar Association’s Dennis H. Replansky Memorial Award
- Recipient, Advocate for Women’s Business Award from the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce in recognition of her work with women business owners
- Recipient, National Association of Women Business Owners’ Women to Watch and Public Policy Advocate Awards
- Recipient, Philadelphia Business Journal‘s Women of Distinction Award
- Named one of the Fifty Best Women in Business in Pennsylvania
- Named SBA Champion of the Year for Women in Business by both the Philadelphia District and Region III of the Small Business Administration Award
No aspect of these advertisements has been approved by the highest court of any state.
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Former President and Member of the Board of Directors, The Forum of Executive Women
- Former Chair of the Board, Child Care Matters
- Former Member, Philadelphia Mayor’s Task Force on Tax Reform and Economic Competitiveness
- University of Pennsylvania Law School
- University of Pennsylvania
Kathleen O’Brien Selected as Awardee for the Philadelphia Bar Association Business Law Section’s 2019 Dennis H. Replansky Memorial Award
PHILADELPHIA, PA – Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that Kathleen O’Brien has been selected as an awardee for the Philadelphia Bar Association Business Law Section’s 2019 Dennis H. Replansky […]
First Niagara Features Montgomery McCracken Partner at Executive Forum- Kathleen O’Brien, program organizer and speaker
Montgomery, McCracken, Walker & Rhoads, LLP partner, Kathleen O’Brien was a speaker at the First Niagara Bank’s Executive Forum held recently at The Philadelphia Country Club in Gladwyne, PA. The […]
Immediate Change in Investor Requirements
On July 20, 2010, President Obama signed the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (the “Act”). One provision of the Act changes the financial qualifications for “accredited investors” […]