Joseph T. Stapleton
Philadelphia, Cherry Hill
Joseph T. Stapleton's practice includes general corporate and finance matters, as well as copyright and trademark matters, and other intellectual property law issues. He is regularly involved in drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, software licenses, software development contracts, research and development agreements and consulting contracts. He co-chairs the Firm's Technology Industry Group.
Before joining the Firm in 1983, Joe served a two-year judicial clerkship with the Honorable Donald W. Van Artsdalen of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Joe earned a B.A. degree in English from Villanova University in Villanova, Pa. in 1977. He received a J.D. degree in 1981 from Villanova University School of Law, where he served as a Case and Comment Editor for the Villanova Law Review.
Cybersecurity and Data Privacy
Learn more about our Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Practice
Corporate and Securities
- Co-Presenter, Rohrer New Venture Competition, February 2020
- Co-Presenter, “The Edifice Complex-Protecting Your Buildings As Intellectual Property,” Montgomery McCracken’s 24th Annual “This Year in Nonprofit Law,” November 2014
- Co-author, “Legislation Enacted: Critical Amendment to DGCL §102(b)(7) Expanding Exculpation to Delaware Corporate Officers,” August 2022
- Noted, “4 Firms Steer Stanley’s $1.5B Deal For Aerospace Parts Maker,” Law360, January 29, 2020
- Quoted, “Out of Nowhere a Network Emerged to Save Catholic Schools,” The Philadelphia Inquirer, June 23, 2014
- Received the Volunteer of the Year Award from The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, 2018
- Received the Volunteer of the Year Award from Independence Mission Schools, 2015
- Received the Martin Luther King, Jr. Justice and Peace Memorial Award from the Wissahickon Faith Community Association, 2013
No aspect of these advertisements has been approved by the highest court of any state.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Director and officer of Independence Mission Schools, a first of its kind network of Catholic schools serving the underserved of all faiths
- Advisory Councilmember of St. Martin de Porres School
- Member of The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Corporate Council
- Long-time volunteer at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Director of St. Christopher’s Foundation for Children
- Special Olympics of Pennsylvania Polar Plunger
- Outreach Committee member at St. Thomas’ Whitemarsh
- Former member of the Philadelphia Police Advisory Commission
- Former director and officer of the Philadelphia Committee to End Homelessness
- Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law
- Villanova University
Legislation Enacted: Critical Amendment to DGCL §102(b)(7) Expanding Exculpation to Delaware Corporate Officers
In April this year, we reported on an important proposed amendment to Section 102(b)(7) of the Delaware General Corporation Law (extending director exculpation to officers as well). We noted that […]
4 Firms Steer Stanley’s $1.5B Deal For Aerospace Parts Maker
Stanley Black & Decker on Wednesday said it will acquire aerospace components manufacturer Consolidated Aerospace Manufacturing for up to $1.5 billion in cash, in a deal steered by Sullivan & Cromwell, Montgomery McCracken, Skadden and Jenner […]
Does Your Employment Contract Actually Vest Ownership of Your Employee’s Patent Rights in Your Company?
In a year when the U.S. Supreme Court has decided several intellectual property-related matters, on June 6, 2011 the Court ruled in the case of the Board of Trustees of […]
U.S. Customs and Border Patrol: Helping to Protect Trademark Owners
Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it isn’t very welcome among Trademark owners. At its most basic, the purpose of a trademark is to provide the customer […]