Timothy Semenoro is a partner in the Litigation Department and co-chair of the Maritime and Transportation Industry Group. His practice includes maritime casualties, the U.S. Limitation of Liability Act (Limitation Act) and Fire Statute, the U.S. Carriage of Goods by Sea Act (COGSA), general average, insurance defense, charter party and contract disputes, environmental liability and damages, maritime arrest and attachment and general admiralty and maritime law. Tim primarily represents international companies, vessel owners, charterers, Protection and Indemnity (P&I) Clubs, Hull Clubs and insurers and insurers in complex, multiparty litigations; arbitrations; mediations; and appeals.
Prior to joining Montgomery McCracken, Tim was a partner with the maritime law firm Chalos O'Connor LLP. Previously, he practiced at a boutique New York law firm in the areas of cargo subrogation, complex commercial litigation, insurance and coverage. During his final year of law school, Tim served as a judicial-extern clerk to the Honorable Marcel Livaudais, Senior U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
Prior to law school, Tim was a naval architect and marine engineer with the firm of CG International, Inc. As an engineer, his primary responsibilities included the development of contract specifications and system diagrams for liquefied natural gas (LNG) and product tankers, the management and creation of document submittals to the U.S. Coast Guard and the American Bureau of Shipping to facilitate the reflagging of Roll-On/Roll-Off vessels, and the coordination of new construction cost estimates for LNG and product tankers.
Tim earned his law degree from Tulane University School of Law where he also received a Certificate in Maritime Law and served as Senior Articles Editor for the Tulane Maritime Law Journal. For his undergraduate degree, Tim attended the Webb Institute of Naval Architecture. While there, Tim received the Patrick Matriscia "Good Shipmate" Award and the Curran Memorial Prize.
Maritime and Transportation
- Counsel for the German owner and technical managers of the containership MSC FLAMINIA, before the U.S. District Court for the District of Southern New York, for a matter involving the explosion and fire that damaged the vessel and her cargo in transit from the United States to Europe in 2012
- Counsel for the German owner and operator of the containership RICKMERS GENOA, before the U.S. District Court for the District of Southern New York and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, for a matter involving the collision of the RICKMERS GENOA and SUN CROSS in the South China Sea and resulting explosion and fire that damaged the vessel and her cargo in 2005
- Counsel for German containership line Hapag-Lloyd against a container terminal in the port of Savannah, Georgia for improper stowage of cargo in a vessel’s hold and resulting spilled fuel oil and cargo damage in a matter that was successfully mediated
- Counsel for foreign-owned general cargo vessel the TONG CHENG against the U.S. National Pollution Fund Center for denial of a claim for limitation and exoneration of liability before the U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii
- Counsel for the foreign owner of the containership NEW DELHI EXPRESS against the U.S. Coast Guard for an improperly positioned buoy in New York harbor that resulted in the grounding of the vessel
- Counsel for an international energy company against a foreign owner and operator of a fleet of bulk carriers for damages under a Contract of Affreightment to transport coking coal in a matter that was successfully arbitrated before the U.S. Society of Maritime Arbitrators
- Speaker, “Recent Development in Maritime Law Around the World,” International Maritime Law Seminar, May 2023
- Presenter, “Big Ships, Big Fires, Big Problems – what’s involved and lessons learned,” International Maritime Law Seminar, October 2019
- Mentioned, “ONE Apus container collapse fuels tangled web of court claims in New York more than two years on,” TradeWinds News, March 2023
- Quoted, “Men’s Health Awareness Month – Q&A 003 with Timothy Semenoro,” UK P&I, November 2022
- Author, “A Collision Between Excess, Marine, and Land-Based Property Insurance Policies and a Dry Dock,” ABA Admiralty and Maritime Law Committee Newsletter, ABA Tort & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS), Spring 2017
- Co-author, “A Modern Twist On A Charter Party Contract,” Mealey’s International Arbitration Report, September 2014
- Author, “The State of Our Seafaring Nation: What Course has Congress Laid for the US Maritime Industry?,“ 25 TUL. MAR. L.J. 355 (2000)
- Author, “To Be an ‘Incident’ or Not an ‘Incident,’ That Is the Question Under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990,” 24 TUL. MAR. L.J. 955 (2000)
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© – Admiralty and Maritime Law list in 2022-2024. The Best Lawyers in America© list is issued by Best Lawyers and a description of the selection methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Martindale, Hubbell AV Rated. The rating is issued by Martindale-Hubbell and a description of the selection methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
No aspect of these advertisements has been approved by the highest court of any state.
- Member, Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Member, Connecticut Maritime Association
- Tulane University Law School
- Webb Institute of Naval Architecture
21 Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Listed in the 2024 Editions of The Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that 21 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2024 editions of The Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® […]
ONE Apus container collapse fuels tangled web of court claims in New York more than two years on
As reported by TradeWinds, the complex legal brawl over the alleged loss and damage to hundreds of containers from the ONE APUS containership continues in US federal court in New […]
Men’s Health Awareness Month – Q&A with Timothy Semenoro
November is Men’s Health Awareness Month. According to Movember.com, testicular cancer is the #1 cancer amongst young guys. Yet 62% of those who are most risk do not know how […]
15 Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2023
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that 15 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in America© in their respective practice areas. Since […]