Paul H. Zoubek
New York, Cherry Hill
Paul H. Zoubek is co-chair of Montgomery McCracken’s White Collar and Government Investigations Practice Group and a member of the Firm's Management Committee. He concentrates his practice on corporate internal investigations, corporate compliance, representation of organizations and individuals in government investigations and counseling clients regarding state regulatory matters and corporate security issues. Paul has also handled a wide range of civil litigation matters in state and federal court.
Paul handles a wide variety of internal investigations for public and private companies and government agencies, and has provided advice regarding corporate compliance and training. He has also represented public officials, individuals and corporations in federal and state investigations. Paul has extensive experience representing individuals and corporations in health care fraud investigations of hospitals and pharmaceutical companies. Paul has also represented corporations in investigations and litigation involving allegations of violations of the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act by the Office of Consumer Protection of the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs. Additionally, he has extensive experience representing corporations before state regulatory agencies on a variety of issues including alcohol beverage control, consumer protection, insurance and taxation.
Paul has also represented individuals in U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission investigations and has represented an SEC receiver in a massive Ponzi scheme. Paul also worked as part of a Montgomery McCracken team that was special counsel to the American Home Products Trust which investigated issues concerning claims submitted to the trust administering the settlement of the Fen-Phen diet drug litigation.
Paul has served as a Special Master to investigate matters in connection with two cases in the United States District Court for New Jersey. In class action litigation involving Healthnet, he was appointed Special Master to investigate the administration of claims process in a $225 million settlement involving reimbursement for out of network services. In litigation involving 7-Eleven and a group of franchisees, Paul was appointed to examine vendor pricing and credits to be provided to franchisees.
Prior to joining Montgomery McCracken, Paul was First Assistant Attorney General for New Jersey. As First Assistant Attorney General, he was responsible for the supervision of the New Jersey Department of Law and Public Safety, which includes the Divisions of Alcohol Beverage Control, Civil Rights, Consumer Affairs, Criminal Justice, Elections, Gaming Enforcement, Highway Traffic Safety, Law, Racing and State Police. During his tenure with the Attorney General’s Office, Paul served as chair of the Governor’s Health Care Fraud Task Force; served as director of the New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice; headed the New Jersey State Police Review Team, which called for significant reforms in policy, practices and training; supervised the implementation of racial profiling reforms; was counsel to the New Jersey Domestic Preparedness Task Force in the wake of 9/11; and served as acting attorney general.
Prior to joining the Attorney General's Office, Paul served for 10 years in the United States Attorney's Office for the District of New Jersey as the Deputy Chief of the Criminal Division and as an Assistant U.S. Attorney. During his tenure in the U.S. Attorney's Office, he successfully prosecuted health care fraud, public corruption and labor racketeering cases.
Paul graduated with a J.D. from New York University School of Law in 1982 and received his B.A. degree, cum laude, from the School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton University in 1978.
White Collar and Government Investigations
Learn more about our White Collar and Government Investigations Practice
Paul has represented companies and individuals in a wide variety of government investigations and regulatory matters. A sampling of his engagements include:
- Represented senior executive in high profile Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation;
- Conducted an internal investigation of national sales practices at a pharmaceutical company and developed an enhanced comprehensive compliance program;
- Represented individuals in criminal tax evasion investigations and prosecutions;
- Represented an executive in an insider trading investigation
- Represented public officials in federal and state corruption and ethics investigations;
- Represented public affairs and consulting firms in public corruption and ethics investigations;
- Represented corporations and individuals in DOJ antitrust investigations involving bid rigging in municipal tax lien and Superfund contracting;
- Represented real estate broker in mortgage fraud investigation;
- Represented ambulance company in a state fraud investigation regarding billing practices;
- Represented major hospital chain in connection with compound pharmacy issues including product recall and development of an enhanced compliance program for handling recalls;
- Represented major pool company in an investigation by New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs;
- Represented major retailer in New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act litigation brought by the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs;
- Represented physician in Medicaid fraud investigation and litigation;
- Represented international parent company before New Jersey Department of the Treasury relating to escheat dispute and developed enhanced compliance program for domestic subsidiary; and
- Represented real estate title insurance company and its agents in an investigation by the New Jersey Real Estate Commission.
Paul has also handled a variety of civil litigation matters, including:
- Represented a large law firm in a legal malpractice action;
- Represented major pharmaceutical company in state Average Wholesale Pricing class action; and
- Obtained denial of class certification in a class action brought against major retailer.
- Panelist, “Fairness and Ethics Issues Posed by Remote Criminal Proceedings,” Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey, May 26, 2021
- Panelist, Lessons Learned from the Amanda Knox Trial, New Jersey Bar Association Midyear Meeting, Rome Italy, November 11, 2013
- Speaker, “Cross-Examination and the Search for the Truth: Preparing Your Witness for the Journey, NJ Attorney General’s Advocacy Institute,” March 18, 2013
- Quoted, “5 things to know about Burlington County’s new prosecutor,” NJ.com, March 23, 2017
- Quoted, “Bergen Judge Martinotti Tapped for Federal Bench,” New Jersey Law Journal, June 12, 2015
- Quoted, “Judge Adopts Report Calling for ERISA Counsel to Pay $246K,” New Jersey Law Journal, February 9, 2015
- Noted, “Special Master Probing Delays in Health Net Class Settlement Payout,” New Jersey Law Journal, December 31, 2013
- Selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers list for 2020-2022. The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters and a description of the selection methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Recipient of the 2016 Thurgood Marshall College Fund’s Award of Excellence
- Past President of the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- New York University School of Law
- Princeton University
15 Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2023
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that 15 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in America© in their respective practice areas. Since […]
Paul H. Zoubek and Alexandra S. Jacobs Selected to the 2022 New Jersey Super Lawyers List
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that Paul H. Zoubek and Alexandra S. Jacobs have been selected to the 2022 New Jersey Super Lawyers list in their respective practice areas. […]
Montgomery McCracken Elects Three New Members to Management Committee; Louis A. Petroni Re-Elected as Chair
PHILADELPHIA – Montgomery McCracken has elected three new partners to the firm’s Management Committee. The Management Committee and its members are responsible for policy oversight and setting the direction of […]
15 Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2022
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that 15 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America© in their respective practice areas. […]