David S. Blum serves as of counsel in Montgomery McCracken's Business Department and a past Chair of the firm’s Diversity Committee for five years. He represents property owners, developers, investors and institutions in acquisition and sales transactions, debt and equity financing, leasing and condominium creation, and in matters involving property ownership, development and management. He routinely represents multifamily, commercial, and retail projects.
In the area of real estate finance, David represents regional banks, private finance companies, and conduit lenders in structuring, negotiating, and closing hundreds of real estate acquisition and construction loans, including loans to finance condominium and shopping center developments, life care and continuing care facilities. He also represents multifamily, commercial and retail owners and developers in connection with construction and permanent financing transactions, including transactions involving tax increment financing (TIFs) for public-private projects, tax exempt financing and securitized loan transactions. He also has extensive experience in loan workouts and restructurings and in the acquisition and disposition of real estate asset portfolios involving distressed properties and debt.
David’s practice also involves representation of institutional, entrepreneurial clients, including architects, brokers, and nonprofit organizations in transactions involving the creation of corporations, partnerships and other business enterprises, purchase and sale of real estate and business assets, development and lease of office and programmatic space, resolution of lease disputes, and analysis of zoning, code compliance, and assessment issues.
David received his J.D. from University of California's Berkeley School of Law and graduated, magna cum laude, with a B.S. from Georgetown University.
Land Use and Zoning
- Represented a publicly traded industrial corporation in connection with the repositioning of a substantial portion of a manufacturing facility involving the creation of a condominium regime, disposition of assets, negotiation of utility and access easements, ground and space leases and shared services arrangements
- Represented a national money center bank in connection with the lease of over two dozen in-line and stand-alone branch facilities
- Represented a regional banking institution in real estate construction and acquisition loans, commercial loans and loan workouts
- Represented two closely held corporations in connection with the sale of urban industrial buildings for adaptive reuse for multifamily residential and retail use
- Represented a consortium of physicians in the development, leasing and management of a suburban medical office building
- Represented a public corporation in connection with the acquisition of a portion of a former naval base for development of an intermodal transportation facility
- Represented a nonprofit membership organization in connection with the sale of its corporate headquarters and fleet maintenance facility, the negotiation of a build-to-suit lease for its new corporate headquarters and the negotiation of space lease for its multiple new call centers, operational offices and fleet maintenance facilities
- Served as special counsel to a municipality in matters involving the development and financing of multimillion dollar public stadiums
- Served as counsel to a local college in connection with the establishment of a professional tennis facility
- Served as counsel to a regional bank in connection with the negotiation and closing of construction financing for a golf course development
- Quoted, “Manhattan Nonprofits Rush to Sell as Values Skyrocket,” The Real Deal, December 2013
- Selected to the 2021-2024 list of The Best Lawyers in America© – Real Estate. A description of the selection methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey or the highest court of any other state.
- Board Member and Former Co-President, Avenue of the Arts, Inc.
- Chair of the Board of Trustees, St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children
- Secretary and Former Co-President, Avenue of the Arts, Inc.
- Member, Board of Directors, Economy League of Greater Philadelphia
- Adjunct Professor, Temple University Beasley School of Law
- Former Board Member, Philadelphia Diversity Law Group
- Former Vice President and Treasurer, The Walnut Street Theatre
- Former Vice President of the Board of Trustees, St. Peter’s School
- Former President of the Board of Directors, Action AIDS, Inc.
- Former Member, Board of Trustees, Philadelphia Art Alliance
- Former Democratic Committeeperson, Fifth Ward of the City of Philadelphia
- Former Lecturer, Temple University’s Real Estate Institute Continuing Education Courses
- University of California Berkeley School of Law
- Georgetown University
21 Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Listed in the 2024 Editions of The Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that 21 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2024 editions of The Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® […]
15 Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2023
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that 15 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in America© in their respective practice areas. Since […]
15 Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2022
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that 15 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America© in their respective practice areas. […]
18 Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that 18 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America© in their respective practice areas. […]