- This event has passed.
28th Annual This Year in Nonprofit Law
November 13, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 3:45 pm
To view the 2018 agenda, please click here.
8:30 – 9:00 Registration
9:00 – 9:15 Welcome
Don Kramer, Editor of Nonprofit Issues®
9:15 -10:30 “This Year in Nonprofit Law”
- What Do We Mean?
- Tax Bill Not Good for Nonprofits, But Not as Bad As It Might Have Been
- Keep Charities out of Politics
- Board has Inherent Power to Suspend Club Members
- Boorish behavior not grounds for court to remove director
- Charity Bike Ride Uninsured When Participant Is Injured
- Association of Honest Attorneys Loses Exemption
- Charity CEO must pay excess benefit taxes
- Do Corporations Use Charitable Gifts As Means to Obtain Political Influence
- The Charges Against the Trump Foundation
- Court approves cy pres of trust to conversion foundation
A panel of Montgomery McCracken lawyers will recap the key legal issues of the past year and offer insight on the trends we can expect in the next year.
10:45 – 12:00 Mission-Aligned Investing
Sidney Hargro, Executive Director of Philanthropy Network Greater Philadelphia
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch
Afternoon Breakout Sessions
1:00 – 2:15
- Critical Policies for Nonprofits: Conflict of Interest, Whistleblower, Document Retention, Confidentiality and Other
- Employment Law Update
2:30 – 3:45
- Ethical Issues for Nonprofit Lawyers and Executives
- Protecting Your Intellectual Property and Cyber Security
PA lawyers can receive up to 5 credits for participating in the program. A one-hour ethics program is available.
PA accountants can receive up to 5 credits for participating in the program.