M. Howard Vigderman is chair of the Business Department of Montgomery McCracken, chair of the Firm's Trusts and Estates Practice, and is a member of the Firm's Management Committee.
In 1982, Howard received his B.A. in English from Haverford College and in 1986 he received his J.D. from the National Law Center of George Washington University, with honors. While in law school, Howard was a member of the staff of The Journal of International Law and Economics. In 1990, he was awarded an LL.M. in Taxation from Temple University Law School.
Trusts and Estates
Business Succession Planning
Howard is a frequent lecturer in the areas of estate planning and administration for a number of professional and lay organizations. He is a regular speaker for Professional Education Systems, Inc. (PESI) and the Pennsylvania Bar Institute.
- Presenter, “Minimizing Transfer Taxes and Preserving Beneficiaries’ Interest with Intergenerational Transfers,” PICPA Personal Financial Planning Conference, November 10, 2022
- Presenter, “Living Well Into Your Senior Years,” Jewish Family and Children’s Service of Greater Philadelphia, December 5, 2017
- Presenter, “Conflicts, Conflicts, Conflicts – Tips for Estate Planners, Estate Administrators and Fiduciary Litigators,” PBI’s Estate Law Institute, November 14, 2017
- Presenter, “Conflicts In and Around the Orphans’ Court – A View From the Bench and From the Trenches,” Philadelphia Bar Association 2017 Bench-Bar & Annual Conference, October 13, 2017
- Presenter, “Conflicts, Conflicts, Conflicts – Tips for Estate Planners, Estate Administrators and Fiduciary Litigators,” Philadelphia Bar Association’s Probate and Trust Law Section Quarterly Meeting, June 5, 2017
- Presenter, “Fiduciary Income Tax Returns,” AICPA Sophisticated Tax Planning for Your Wealth Clients Conference, November 27, 2014
- Author, “Keep, Scan, Recycle or Shred? A Practical Guide to Reducing Clutter for Those “Working From Home” During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” March 2020
- Author, “Estate Planning Considerations During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic“, March 2020
- Co-Author, “Thanks to the SECURE Act, Your IRA Has Really Lost Its Stretch!“, January 2020
- Co-Author, “Securing the Marital Deduction Under a Qualified Pension Plan or IRA,” proceedings of the 1991 annual meeting of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, 1991
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Litigation – Trusts and Estates; Trusts and Estates, 2001-2023
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Estate and Probate, 2019
No aspect of these advertisements has been approved by the highest court of any state.
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Former chair of the Public Service Committee
- Immediate past chair of the Legislative Committee of the Probate and Trust Law Section
- Member of that Section’s Executive Committee
- Contributor to the Section’s newsletter on issues involving legislative developments and insurance planning for closely-held business owners
- Howard served on the Board of Astral Artists, a not-for-profit performing arts organization.
- Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law|George Washington University National Law Center
- Haverford College
15 Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2023
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that 15 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in America© in their respective practice areas. Since […]
15 Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2022
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that 15 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America© in their respective practice areas. […]
Senator Sanders Introduces “99.5% Act” Which Would Increase Estate Taxes and Overhaul Estate Planning
Senator Bernie Sanders has introduced in the Senate what he calls the “99.5% Act” (the “Act”). For individuals dying and gifts made after December 31, 2020, the Act would substantially […]
18 Montgomery McCracken Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
Montgomery McCracken is pleased to announce that 18 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America© in their respective practice areas. […]